The Salem Witch House was constructed in the 1670′s for Judge William Hathorne. He presided over the notorious Witch Trials in Salem. He is also a relative of author Nathaniel Hawthorne who was born across town.
Now a museum, the Salem Witch House needed to be sensitively adapted to accommodate those with disabilities. Working with B. Goba and Associates, P.C., our firm documented the building’s ground floor and provided assistance with the preparation of contract documents. We specifically were responsible for the creation of drawings and details necessary for the contractor to build the project. We also provided assistance with the reviews by the local and state historical commissions, and Massachusetts Architectural Access Board.
The final project was constructed in two phases. An exterior graded walk was constructed on the outside rear. The second half involved widening the existing rear door, removal of select walls, and widening of interior openings to accommodate wheelchairs.